Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Thanksgiving 1

November 1.
 Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love it because it's in my favorite season: fall. I enjoy it because of the food that comes with it. I celebrate it in full because it seems to often be the forgotten holiday. and I embrace it because having a thankful heart makes a world of difference in a pessimistic world.
 I don't always share thankfulness like I should or want to, so this month I decided (in all my free time) that I want to every day this month write a post about what I am thankful for.
  Some posts might be short. Some might be long. Depends on the thing I share. I have much to be grateful for in my life. And yet I admit to focusing on the more frustrating things too often.
 So, this month, while there will be other posts as well, I will try to write something every day. If I miss a day, I'll try to make it up. So,
 November 1.
 To avoid an obvious one (that will be shared at some point) I will share that I am thankful for the childhood I had.
 I watch kids today hurt and be bullied and deal with far more painful situations than I ever faced. Granted, I grew up in small town Ohio, but that doesn't matter. I had an amazing childhood. Perfect? No. But wonderful? yes.
   Farm life. Hard work. But lots of laughter. Games with mom and my siblings. Hide and seek with my friends late into the night. A good church. Crazy stories of God's provisions. Fun school days. Growing up with the same kids most of my life. Special youth leaders, who still are part of my life today. Great teachers. Friday night football games. 4-H. Tractors. A father who never quit. A mother who forever loved. An older sister who was loved by all and so much fun. An older brother smarter than any one else in our home, quiet, but always a protector for me. A younger brother I fought with like crazy but has become one of my closest friends today.

 I could go on for a long time. But today, I am thankful for the childhood I got to have. I was free and I was loved. And I love reliving some of those memories. In fact, the farm remains one of my favorite place to be because of those days.  I am blessed. Here are a few silly snapshots from my childhood.
One of my favorites! We always made a  scarecrow out of dad's farm clothes stuffed with straw and "attached" it to our lamp post. I was 3.

Me and my younger brother. When it rained, we had a little "lake" puddle that formed in the yard. We had a blast playing it in it!  Notice the way oversized rubber farm boots ;) 

3 Musketeers. Kelsey, oldest. Beth, middle. Me, youngest. We spent a lot of time together in high school. This was at Beth's dad's trailer at Lake Erie. 

Senior Night for Band. 

We used to rake leaves and play in them for hours. Me, my brother, Tim and my best childhood friend, Courtney.

We always acted out the Christmas story. I was Mary, my brother was Joseph and of course, baby Jesus. 

One of my favorite Christmas' growing up.... our heat had gone out, so we ate around the oven, which put off heat, had our coats on and opened gifts in the kitchen- the only "warm" room that year. Mom must have been taking the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment