Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Beauty of Dreams

Eleanor Roosevelt said, "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

  Dreaming is a gift, I think. Of course, I might be a bit biased since I happen to be a dreamer. Different categories of dreams exist- those which are crazy and outrageous and wildly silly, and then dreams which are inspiring, turning to goals, turning to life being lived out.

  Some say they are not dreamers, they are just doers. I tell you I am a  "doer" because I'm a dreamer. My most accomplishing moments are born with the start of dream in my heart.

  The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. 

 I believe in the beauty of my dreams. Do you believe in yours?
   Maybe your dream is to own a home on the beach or by a lake in the mountains.
   Perhaps your dream is some type of amazing career.
    Or maybe your dream is to make a difference, one life at a time.
  Dreams can vary- from traveling to far away places, to going on mission trips to Africa (or anywhere) to help those less fortunate, or maybe organizing an event or a non profit group for a good cause.  Maybe your dream is multi-layered and something that will take years to unfold....
  Whatever your dream is, I must say I agree with Mrs. Roosevelt in that "the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

 Have you ever had someone tell you you can't?  That you'll never be or do what you're setting out to accomplish.... I have. Once I had a friend tell me that I should take time to thank those who didn't believe in my dreams and goals. Because, ultimately, those nay sayers would be the ones who would push me the hardest, in essence to prove them wrong. At the time, I did not understand that statement. But I have come to appreciate that conversation.  I can appreciate the value behind it now. Without realizing it, those who would laugh at my goals/dreams, were the ones who pushed me the hardest to be better.  Perhaps it's pride to prove a person wrong.
 Perhaps it's the competitive side of me, which is quietly displayed, only to come out for few to see.
     Perhaps God uses those nay-sayers to help accomplish His goals for me and to use me.
Whatever the case, I have to agree with my friend who said that. Looking back, some of the very big dreams that seemed quite impossible came true, and I often smile at the remembered conversations of  those telling me I couldn't.

  While it may be a bit outrageous to say to a person they can do whatever they set their mind to, (let's be realistic, there are certain things that are crazily unattainable in some fashion) it doesn't mean one can't dream. Because if they're anything like me, their dreaming will turn into doing.
                                                    The only failure is to never try.  
And so I set out to try. To push forward in my dreams and believe in the beauty of them. I suppose this goes along with my word different this year, but something about this year just is refreshingly exciting.
  What are my dreams, you ask? I have a list going... and perhaps that will be for another blog to come soon. For now, knowing I believe in them is a good place to be.
  What are your dreams? Do share....
    One day at a time, the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
     


No comments:

Post a Comment