Sunday, February 22, 2015

Hands and Feet

I have experienced doing many jobs over the years. Growing up as a farm girl, I learned how to work hard and do all kinds of get-your-hands-dirty jobs. I learned how to use tools and do (some) do-it-yourself projects. I've experienced challenging tasks, physical tasks, and mental tasks. Hard work and hands -on does not scare me. But yesterday, I tackled a first-time-ever project.
  The temperatures have been below zero, and snow has been falling, and we had some pipes freeze. We were fortunate that nothing burst, but the discovery led to the necessity of fixing the problem before it becomes a larger problem.  In further investigating, we discovered that these pipes were not properly insulated in the attic. They were exposed to the elements, and the rare, sub- zero temps brought it to our attention. Anyway, we decided to fix this on our own, as opposed to spending a fortune to take care of it. The problem: my husband is severely allergic to insulation and really not (let's say) limber enough to fit in the rafters.
 Initially, my 10 year old son eagerly volunteered, thinking it would be "cool". However, as soon as he got up to the attic, he became very concerned there might be creatures up there, so he couldn't bring himself to do it. So, I said I would do it. Oh, boy, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. (I can't say I blame him for his fear of the possible creatures, either. )
 I climbed the ladder and crawled up into the attic. With one piece of plywood underneath me to keep me from falling through, this project took on a whole new meaning to being in a tight space. The plywood could only be shifted so many times until I had to rely on climbing around rafter to rafter, like spiderman. At one point, there was this very small hole I had to crawl through in order to get to the other side of a rafter to continue to put insulation over these pipes. I have never maneuvered my body so awkwardly, nor do I ever want to do that again. I had to be quite careful where I put my feet as I moved, so I wouldn't fall through.
 But as I did this project, with a small flashlight and a pocket knife, and my watching every little step I took,  I had a song come back to me from years ago.
 (Side note, if you know me well, you know I absolutely love music. My mom used to have a song for everything, and it would seem perhaps I am finding that same sliver of life. )
 When I started singing, I was asked "Is everything ok?" Apparently, the ones on the ground found my singing odd. Anyway, This song came back to me, as I gingerly moved my feet and kind of groaned about doing this task...
   Audio Adrenaline sang a song in my high school days called Hands and Feet
 The point of the song was that we are God's hands and feet and will go where He sends us, to accomplish His tasks for His good.
    I know, kind of an odd moment to remember the song, but nonetheless, this insulation job became a parallel for a moment, along with the reminder of the song.
   You see, we all have meaning. We all have jobs. I used to find myself frequently saying I'm just... just a barista... just a mom.... just a secretary....  as if those roles were not important. Sometimes, I have to still correct this phrase in my vocabulary, but this is a lesson I have come very far in my journey.
 I am not just  anything. Nor are you.
   Whether I am a mom, a barista, a secretary, an event planner , or wherever life might carry me...
 Whether you are a CEO, a company director, a dad, a farmer, (an insulation installer), work manual labor or desk job, touch hundreds of people a day or five....
 You can make a difference.
    I can make a difference.
I may never see it. I may never know. But I am here to be His hands and His feet to those around me.
 To love the unlovable.
    To lend smiles to the hurting.
       To listen to the frustrated.
           To laugh instead of cry, or maybe cry alongside someone.
 To hug others.
    To work my hardest so that He may be glorified, not me.

  I am created uniquely so that I can be different and make a difference.
      It's never just anything. Every little act matters.

 It's incredible the powerful life lessons I can remember in the midst of everyday activities. To finish off the story, the pipes are now insulated, albeit very amateurly. And hopefully I never have to do that job again :) Although, if necessary, I would.
  If you want to hear all the lyrics to the song, click on the video below.
 Remember.... one day at a time... you can make a difference. You never know what a simple act, simple word, or simple smile can do for another person.

No comments:

Post a Comment