Friday, April 10, 2015

The Little Moments

"The hardest arithmetic to master is the that which enables us to count our blessings." -Eric Hoffer

  I read that quote, Stopped, Read it again. I really like it. How true is it that so often we struggle to count our blessings ? I am guilty of this, but that is a problem I am actively working to fix. Hence, my little moments blog was born on Fridays. While math has never been my strong suit, I like the picture Eric Hoffer painted by saying the hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.
    In the night, I woke to the sound of thunder and lighting. Typically, I'd be annoyed at the interruption of sleep, since I already struggle to get a solid night's sleep. However, last night, I laid there,  appreciating the flashes of lightning, anticipating the crashing of thunder and admiring the steady fall of the rain.    
 In that moment, in the middle of the night, the thoughts of contentment rested in my mind. I've jotted them down for a future blog, but for this morning, I will simply share highlights of little moments collected through my week, much like the rain collected on the ground last night.

 - Weather (finally) warm enough to roll down the windows while I drive and let the wind whip my hair around my face
    - A roof over my head to protect me from stormy days
- Doctors and modern medicine.  When sickness falls, I realize how grateful I am for my normal good health, which I take for granted. I also am thankful for medicine and doctors to help diagnose and get me better.
   - Puddles to jump in, bringing out  my child-like spirit still deep in me, which can often get outweighed by the adult woes of the world I too often let creep in
     - A bike ride with my son
  - A grown up adult like girl time with my daughter and the appreciation of open communication that lives between the 2 of us.
   - My job. It can be easy enough to look at my bank account and get overwhelmed by how quickly the money goes towards bills and nearly as soon as it comes in, it goes out. However, I am grateful that I have the money to pay the bills. Not everyone is that lucky.  I am blessed. Even if by the end of the week I can at times be down to pennies, God is good . He always provides.
     - A super fun gift from my 'secret sister' at church. I was thrilled to find a goodie bag for me, full of my favorite snacks, bottles of water (yes, this excites me! ) and a book full of quotes about gratitude. I smile as I pick up the book, and thank God for this person not yet revealed to me, who filled a bag full of simple things that brought me much joy.
      - Thunder storms. I love them. Even when they wake me up. I have a comfortable bed to lie quietly in and savor the sounds, but still be protected from the harshness of the wind and rain.  The sounds are peaceful and relaxing. And, friends, you cannot appreciate that sun without the rain.
 - The sound of lawnmowers again. And the smell of fresh cut grass..... pure heaven, from my perspective.
    - Waking up to warm, muggy air after a fresh rain, like a thick blanket, wrapping around my skin as I walk out the door.
 
 As the thunder and lightning and rain flashed, crashed and splashed around my atmosphere last night, I was reminded that life will often bring storms. But, sometimes, as quickly as a storm rolls in, it can also blow out, and left in its place are blessings, joys, and fresh perspectives..... if we choose to allow that in.
 God is good; All the time. I say that often, and I do not say it as a cliche. At times, I say it to remind myself in a moment when I may not be feeling it. I say it to remind my friends. But more than that, I say it because it is so true. God is good. He brings the rain, but He also brings the sun. Count your blessings. They are there, laced all throughout your day. You just have to have a mindset to master that "hardest arithmetic".
 One day at a time.

colossians 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment