Monday, April 20, 2015

Goals

If you have not figured it out yet, I am a goal setter. First, a dream begins forming in my heart. Then, I take that dream and set goals. And then, I take those goals and begin actions.
  I love having goals.
    I love seeing results.
      I enjoy hitting new milestones.
Yet, sometimes, those milestones come not from actually achieving the goal which was set, but from all that I learn along the pathway of life attempting to achieve that goal.

 I am in yet another race week. Saturday I will run the Kentucky Derby half marathon. Initially, I set out to run this race and finish in 2:15, which would be an amazing finish time for me.
  But along the way,  through different obstacles and challenges, I knew that I would not meet that ambitious goal this April. At first, I felt disappointment, but then, I picked myself up and felt pride.
 Pride because I have continued to persevere through all the winter obstacles.
   Pride because I haven't quit.
     Pride because I am still going, still running, still trying.
 I had the privilege to run an unexpected event a few weeks ago. I had so much fun, and upon finishing, I thought to myself that I could have a great race coming up. Then, I experienced a few more challenges between that race day and this upcoming one. But, I am not giving up.
  I am not a quitter. I am a goal setter.

 I am not upset or sad that I will not reach that initial goal I set. I am proud that I have kept pushing through the obstacles and will finish the race on Saturday.
  Because, you see, as Benjamin Mays said, the tragedy does not lie in not reaching my goal, the tragedy would be in not having a goal to reach.

 My spring goal has now become my fall goal. I am not giving up on it. I am extending it. And I have no doubt that as I have learned much about myself along this journey, I will continue to learn valuable lessons in the upcoming months of continuing to pursue this ambitious goal.
    I have learned about self- control and determination.
       I have learned about choosing gratitude instead of frustration.
I have learned to slow down and enjoy life a little more.
       I have learned to love me a little more.
      I have learned how great having a goal is, and yet not reaching the goal does not mean failure.
  I have learned not to be defined by others' definition of success, but to write my own definition.

   Pick a goal. Just one. The journey begins there.
 Then see where it takes you.... you will be surprised at all you will learn along the way.
    One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment