Monday, August 31, 2015

What I Learned in August

Time is flying by! August wraps up and September is breezing in quickly.
 The kids went back to school and life is in full swing (but seriously, when is it not in full swing??) .I think I end each month by saying it was a particularly big learning month for me, so I  better find better phrasing. But isn't life all about growth?? Sometimes, growth is exciting. Other times, growth is exhausting.  But all the time, God is good.

  So, here are some silly and serious moments that August brought my way....

1. I rode a bull....
   A mechanical bull, of course.  I guess you could say that I always have wanted to do that, but of course riding a real bull is quite out of the question. So, at the county fair, when the opportunity was there, of course I said yes when asked if I wanted to try it out. I think the lady who was controlling it was kind in how she maneuvered the bull, but I lasted 47 seconds. And dismounted somewhat gracefully. (Somewhat.) It was pure FUN.





2. I LOVE to bake!
   I have gone a little crazy baking lately. This is either to the enjoyment or annoyance of my coworkers, since they are the ones subjected to my treats most often. I love to bake, but I don't want it sitting around my house. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed it until this month. And in thinking on it, I have realized a few reasons behind this pure enjoyment for me...
   a. Baking is a stress reliever for me. When I am stressed, it feels good to break out ingredients and put something together from scratch, savor the taste and see a result of a product made by my hands. Creativity at its best.
   b. It makes me happy to see others happy. And when people take bites of the treats and I can truly see the smile on their faces, the flour, the messy kitchen and the stress of momentary bad things melts away. I love seeing people happy. I love to bake and just give it away. I love to hear that it made their day.
   c. I think baking reminds me of my mom. Mom baked all the time. Something about baking makes me feel her with me. Some may find that weird, but for me, it works. I feel like I'm carrying a piece of her legacy. And when I bake, I remember her vividly.
Zucchini Bread
  Peanut Butter "Lasagna"





                                      What my kitchen looks like in the process of baking
Buckeye Cupcakes





3. I no longer have elementary kids in the house. Enter a whole new phase of parenting. It's weird, challenging, scary, and exciting all at once. Did I say challenging?? Because it is most definitely that. But challenges present growth. And good memories.


4. Quote of the month... "Seldom does God use greatly a person who hasn't been hurt greatly."  by ?? I heard it in a message and didn't catch the author of the quote.
   So much beauty and truth is found in that statement. Hurts of the heart are never wasted by God. He will use them. Sometimes in life we need reminded of that.

5. I have picked my saxophone up again and started playing more. I forgot how much I loved to play! It soothes my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment