Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Little Moments

With life moving quickly, events happening, and exhaustion setting in, even though it's not Friday (which is when I typically write these),  I find it good to pause for a moment today to share the little moments that bring smiles.
 
  -My son turned 11 last week. While that age is not a monumental one to mark in the books, I know that the days of his desire to spend time at home (because I take note of all my friends around me say) are quickly fleeing, so I am soaking in these times. I vow to enjoy them and not take advantage of them. For his birthday this year, he took a friend to SkyZone, an indoor trampoline venue. He had a blast, and I had just as much fun listening to his laughter and chatter. He even included me in some of the birthday endeavors.

 - My oldest nephew graduated this weekend. I am so proud of him. He and I share a special relationship. We, in essence, have grown up together, as I was fairly young when he was born. I have watched him grow, all the while growing myself. He holds a special place in my heart. 

My nephew, Robby, and his 2 sisters

- My cousin, Brian, and I only live 2 hours apart. But somehow, it's been 10 years since we have had any one on one time. This weekend (yes, it was a very packed full weekend!) , I had the privilege to hang out with him and his wife, Amy, and watch their son pitch a great game of baseball (and win!). And we got to catch up on the last 10 years of life. I love those relationships, where you pick up where you left off and don't skip a beat. Those are rare and precious. And Brian and I have vowed to not wait so long for our next visit. 

Chase, Brian, myself, and Amy

- I got a very random text from a friend who I had not heard from in a long time. In fact, he is a former boss of mine. He was my boss when my mom passed away, and we hadn't talked in a long time. He texted me a photo of a lit candle in memory of my mom, because he was at a cancer walk (Relay for Life) and was thinking of me and my mom and lit a candle in memory of her. I found that incredibly touching. In fact, words can't quite say how much that meant to me, that after many years of not working together or having contact, that he would take the time not only to remember her, and to do that, but send me a text along with it saying "Thinking of you..." How thoughtful and kind. 
 Thank you, Brandon. 

- A perfectly formed rose. I have a small rose bush to the side of my house. I kind of forget about it, to be honest. But Michael does not forget it is there. He is the one who tends to it. And the other day, he cut one and brought it in for me. You can't buy a rose so perfect as what you can find in the garden. I love roses. I love these especially, because they are a different color. It makes me happy every time I walk by it in my kitchen. 



- Last, but not least, I am a quote junkie. I love inspiring quotes, funny quotes, thought-provoking quotes.. pretty much I love words :) . Dr. Seuss has become one of my favorites lately. I know... so highly educated, right? But the truth is, his quotes are simple, fun, and at times, downright inspiring and true to the core. This is the latest one I discovered, and the simpleness, yet profoundness is not lost on me.
   

 And that is what I will part ways with today.... that sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory. That's what all these little moments are about. that's what life is about. They start out as just little moments, but become memories.... which makes that little moment valuable. 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment