Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Perseverance

I recently took a poll (okay, when I say that, I mean I asked 10 or so people) what first came to mind when they thought of Abraham Lincoln.
  The most popular answer? His top hat and beard.
    I also heard -His assassination and the Gettysburg Address

I was curious as to what people would say when he came to mind.
  The reason behind the question was because when I think of Abraham Lincoln, I think of perseverance. I actually didn't know these facts about  him... they aren't what is really covered in history. (or if it was, I was not listening very well to my teacher.) But here are some bold facts I learned about Abraham Lincoln through more reading...
  - He failed in business in '31
    - He was defeated for state legislator in '32
-He tried another business in '33. It failed
  - His fiancee died in '35
     - He had a nervous breakdown in '36.
  - He was defeated in running for congress in '43
   - He tried again in '48.
 In '55 he tried for senate and lost
   - The next year he tried for VP and was defeated.
  -In '59 he ran for senate again and was defeated.
  But in 1860, Abraham Lincoln became the 16th president of the United States, and accomplished great moments for this country.

  What in the world made that man keep going? Seriously.... most of us would have thrown our hands up and quit. I would have.
   But even though the man had a nervous breakdown, he kept persevering. He did not give up. I truly love this story. I don't know all the details of it, but through it, I am motivated.  And it translates into my life today.

  So let me get real for a moment here. I have some pessimists that exist in my life (don't we all??)  And I have been told to give up on my dream. I have been told to quit putting on the 5K I so love doing, because I have hit obstacles with it.  The event which is a dream in my heart to grow the scholarship in memory of mom. I know that there comes a time and a place to listen to all the opinions and evaluate what is true and what is not. But then those have to be sifted and left to be just that- a person's opinion. What matters is that I seek God in all I am doing and if He asks me to put on this event to the best of my ability, I will continue to do so. I will push through the discouragements that come with it and the frustrations. And yes, the pessimism as well.
   God has given me this dream of using the 5K to help nursing students through school. I did not go to college, but upon once considering it, nursing was high on my list. I watched countless nurses be used, in not only my mom's life through her cancer journey, but my life, too. A few of those nurses have stuck in my heart and mind forever. I cannot be a nurse... it's not my calling. But, I can use my talents and gifts of event planning and 5K to help other's continue their schooling to become nurses. To fulfill the dream that's planted in my heart.
  Not for my glory, but for His. 
The nurses we help with the scholarships we give, which are only a result of the 5K. I am not a nurse. But.... God has given me other abilities which can tie into helping nurses.
 I never thought this would be a part of my life story. I never imagined my mom not being here as part of my story. But look at how God has and can use that.... to bless other people.
 I love putting on the 5K. some tell me I make it about me. But only One person knows my heart... and while He is teaching much every year through putting on the event which is approaching in less than 20 days (yikes!) I know without a doubt, this is a dream and a calling He has given me....for now. bumps, bruises and all....
   I never thought I would be a 5K director. It might be the smallest one out there. And while the numbers are a big push to an event such as mine,  I am choosing to let the focus be on God. And just do the event to the best of the ability which He has given me. And the right amount of people, just who God sees fit, will be at my event. I never thought I would be an event planner.
 But I bet Abraham Lincoln never thought he would set slaves free, either.

 He had a nervous breakdown.... I have an anxiety disorder.
    He failed many times before succeeding. I will not look at these smaller years as failure, but as opportunity to grow and to keep pushing towards the dream of a scholarship that will give for a life time to help nurses be able to carry the light of God into the world where I cannot.
     His fiancee died.  My mom died.  

He became president.... me.... well, that's for God to decide. I am not looking for limelight or to be the biggest event around or to be known all over. I am simply looking to make a difference for the One who counts.
    He had a faith.... I have a faith. Weak at times, but God says in the book of Matthew all I need is faith the size of a mustard seed.
        I am excited to see how He will use the event this year to shape me, to shape those who may attend, and to shape the scholarship that will hopefully have an impact on giving to nurses who can serve Him for generations to come.  I am not giving up . I will persevere.

*While this blog is about what I am learning and about persevering and not about my event per say, if you want to know more, to sign up for it, or to donate to the cause, you can learn more here

No comments:

Post a Comment