Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Grateful # 7

I have begun incorporating the idea of gratefulness with my kids at home as well. We have started a "Grateful box" which we keep on a shelf in our living room and each day we write something if not multiple things down.  It's really neat, actually, to watch them learn to do this a bit more each day. And to watch the attitudes change a little bit with it, too. sometime I'll record some of their thoughts, but today I want to share a few of my grateful bits over the last week.
  1. Today would've been my mom and dad's 41st wedding anniversary. As I remembered that, I thought about how grateful I am for what an example of amarriage they set for me. Granted, I have not nearly been the woman my mom was, but I am learning every day and hoping one day I can be seen as great of a wife as she was. They had a really amazing marriage. I loved watching their interactions, and recalling them makes me smile. Sure, they had their moments, but overall, their moments were more private and what we witnessed was love, gratefulness, sincerity and godly examples. I think I heard my dad say every night thank you to my mom for her meals, and I don't really recall ever hearing mom complain about her chores. I watched them laugh together. I watched them pray together. I watched them work through hard times together (though I didn't have as much understanding then as what I have now of how hard those times were.). I watched them interact. I watched mom serve. I watched dad provide. Sure they had their faults, but overall, they had a beautiful marriage. And today I was thinking about how lucky I am to have grown up under that. And to have that example.

 2 I am thankful for my friend, Chris. Over the course of the next few weeks, I'll choose one friend to share about. Friends mean a lot in my life, they play a huge part in my every day. That's a lot because part of my makeup is to be sociable. Today it's Chris. Chris is one of the most gracious, loving friends I have. She encourages me and also lovingly shares correction. We share life (well, let's be honest, right now, she lets me share my life mostly!) . We share faith. We share struggles and we share victories. Chris is a huge blessing in my life. There are  a handful of friends about whom I could write, but today I choose her. She is consistently available for me, night or day, for tears or for victory laughs. (again, let's be honest, it's more tears she gets from me!) . She would probably not be crazy about all the hype here I am making over her, but she deserves it. She has blessed my life by helping me move forward in some really new and neat ways.

 3. I am thankful for some of the neat, new ways my 5K event is beginning to shape up. I may have to write a whole separate blog about that. But for now, I will say that I am preparing for it to be a bigger, better event this year and I am really excited about some things. Today I found a website (Road ID...runners, this is a great resource site with lots of cool stuff), and they are going to supply my event with bibs for the runners for FREE! I am so excited to include them in my sponsorship and to step up the professionalism of the race a bit with that piece of equipment most 5k'ers really love to have afterwards. They are also giving me some other free things that will be very valuable.

4. I am thankful for my bed and my bathroom. Bear with me here...The last 2-3 days our plumbing has been on the fritz. One night we had to sleep elsewhere, and though we were grateful, I really missed being in my own home and my own bed. It's the little things sometimes. I also have realy missed the luxury we have come to know as a toilet. As they have worked on fixing things, we've had to rely on neighbors (Thank you, Wanty family!) for using their restroom. I am glad for that. Glad for good neighbors. But I will be even  more glad once we have our own bathroom up and working right again!

5. I am thankful for cool mornings. I love summer and I love the heat. But there is something totally refreshing and enjoyable about running in the morning at 4:30(ish) in 64 degrees. It's gorgeous.

And the list goes on, as I continue to learn to be grateful one day at a time. I am not always successful, but I am working on it every day. I close with a wedding picture of my mom and dad....I thank God for them so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment