Sunday, January 5, 2020

Start over. Mind over Matter


Starting over or beginning any act for the first time is never easy. Mind over matter is truly how to accomplish it.
   Mind over matter- forget about the fear and just do it.
Mind over matter- stop with the "I can't" and say "I will"
 Mind over matter- envision the finish line, the end product, not the start line where it is so easy to stop or give up before even getting going
 Mind over matter- Believing in oneself and pushing through the doubts

    I was not a blogger when I first began running, so I want to share a story about when I first began.

  My whole life I had said "I'm not a runner and never will be!"
  In high school, the cross country coach called me, asking me to participate, in need of runners. I had zero desire to do that, but said I would try and get back with him. I did not even go a mile, felt like dying, and called him back to say "no thanks, it's not for me."

   I had friends who took it up when we got "older", and I still said, "nope- never. Not for me."

 And yet... I have learned to never say never.

 In case you have heard this story or in lieu of not dragging it out, I witnessed the finish line at the Air Force Marathon as a volunteer and I said then that I would do a half marathon.

 Before that moment, I had not really found myself capable of accomplishing such large goals. But when I saw the different ages, shapes, sizes, people cross that finish line, I said to myself "If they can do it, so can I."

 I do believe that in that moment is when I really began to understand myself and learn what I could do with the right mind set.

  My first run was so hard. I mean HARD. I felt like I couldn't breathe. I hated it. Yet, I'd set my mind to it. I had no idea what I was doing. I wasn't wearing the right shoes nor clothing. I didn't know anything about stretches or training. I was clueless.

 My brother, at that time a marine drill instructor, came home for a short break, and he offered to go out for a run with me. This is when I feel the turning point came for me. He taught me a valuable lesson. We went for a run in the park. He pushed me. I hated it. But he is one who has always pushed me, helped me understand my potential, even if he is younger than I am. He said to me we would only go one mile and then I could walk. I. Wanted. To. Die.  I asked him, "Are we at a mile yet??" And he said nope, keep going... we are getting close. To me, it felt like an eternity. When he said "One Mile!" I never felt so relieved.
  Then he had this stupid grin on his face, so I asked him why he looked so mischievous. He told me "Congratulations, you just did a mile and a half!!"

 That fool tricked me, but taught me a valuable lesson in that moment. Mind over matter. We are capable for more than we think. We must learn to push ourselves a little. Several months later, I finished my first half marathon and have never looked backwards on that.

 Running has taught me countless lessons. I know that I have yet to learn from this unique sport. I share all of this to remind myself of the capability. In 2019 I only was able to run one half marathon. Due to many life events, I feel like it went by the wayside. However, I am back in training now. I am looking towards an April race and a May race. BUT.... I feel like that person back in 2008 who is taking her first steps again.
 I may not have slid that far into being out of shape, but I definitely have to remind myself of the ability that lies within me in regards to distance running. I have to remind myself how good it feels and how much I will enjoy the accomplishment. And I have a goal in mind, to which I am much looking forward seeing the outcome. I really have to live mind over matter right now, as the miles have become difficult for me once again.

 A mentor once taught me that it usually isn't about the actual finish line experience as it is about the journey of what I learn through it. Yes, the finish line feels good and is exciting. However, it feels that way because of what is overcome through the months leading up to it. And I am very much looking forward to what the next months will teach me as I re-train my body how to do this distance.
 I'm not out to win my age bracket. I am not even sure yet that I want to aim for PRs. However, I am anxious to be at it regularly again.

 It will be hard. I am 10  years older. I am more tired (so not sleeping in is a challenge). I am probably (ok... I am) 10 pounds+ heavier. But I am also 10 years the wiser. And I am excited to see what this new leg of the journey, this new decade if you want to say, will bring. One day at at time.

No comments:

Post a Comment