Friday, October 10, 2014

Rejoicing each day....

"This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it."
 That verse is found in Psalm 118. My mom often quoted that verse to me. She also would sing a song about it, which sticks in my mind often as well, and has allowed me to always remember the words of the scripture. That verse has resonated to me loudly of late. Because each day is a new day, a reason to rejoice and be glad, no matter what is happening in my surroundings. God's grace and mercy are new every morning.
 But, I get off topic here for today's blog.
   I sat at a banquet Friday night for scholarship donors at Cedarville University. I have the privilege to be a part of the banquet ceremonies because of the scholarship we award each year in memory of mom.  I found it quite appropriate that the first person who gave a small speech started her speech with that verse.  I found that meaningful and quite the reminder in the moment.
  This time of year is often a struggle for me, as I am overly busy with details and last minute preparations for the 5K, just days away. The banquet, just a week before my 5K event, which is in essence, what raises all the funds for the scholarship we award, always gives me moments to pause and be reminded why we do what we do. Why I get so busy this time of year. And that the whole point of the scholarship is, yes, to remember and honor mom, but even more so, it is about glorifying God and helping students who need the help, who can then use their gifts to touch cancer patients we will never touch.
 I am not a nurse, nor is it the gift God has given me. But He has most certainly planted me in a place of having a passion to carry out this event, which can help nurses.  He has even now given me a career to help further this 5K because of what I get to learn and do each day for a living in marathon planning.
  This year's 5K event has held new challenges, as it comes on the heels of the busiest time of year for my job, and that was a new balance for me. I have faced personal challenges as well , which have led to me pour less time into this event. I have even battled the emotion (and words of some) that I am a failure this year with the 5K. But then I hear the words spoken by the Psalmist years ago that "this is the day the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it"  and so I pause and thank God for so much, specifically in regards to this event, as I head into a very big day...
   - for the passion He has laid on my heart and how He has not only blessed that passion but has given me a career in it
      - for a heart to carry on mom's legacy through other nurses
 - for the support of so many
   -for growing pains, as each year takes on new ones, each in different ways. This year being more personal than anything else
          - for new opportunities.
   -For closed doors as much as open ones.
           -For my dad. Not a runner or an event planner. But he is most certainly a support system and has a willing heart to help however directed.
                   -For my mom. She is the reason we do this event. The memories of mom have flooded my heart and mind lately. the verse referenced to as today's blog being just one of them.  I have found old silly pictures of mom, bringing back laughs. Dad and I have chatted about mom. Being at the banquet and carrying out the 5K every year always does the same. My mom was my hero. She was an amazing wife, mom, woman of God. And I am forever grateful for her and all the lessons she engrained in me.

 This is the day the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it.
  This weeks theme for me. A busy week, lots of details to be carried out. The event may not be where I want it to be this year, but it is where God wants it. And He always knows best. And one day at a time, I will continue to learn to rejoice and pursue what He has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment