Friday, April 4, 2014

Finish the Race

"A runner must run with dreams in his heart."  -Emil Zatopek

I am a dreamer. I have realized it is truly part of my makeup of who I am. When I try to squelch it or tone it down, I may succeed for a short time, but then the dreams start blooming in me again and springing forth like flowers in a field. I can't seem to stop. Generally I am a realistic dreamer, but sometimes I have one or two that are far fetched. But that all being said, I believe it can be a good quality to withhold, a part of how God has made me.

 A runner must run with dreams in his heart......

Perhaps that is one reason I love to run. When I run, the dreams and the goals flow.

 This week, I achieved a great dream of mine. I received my race director certification! While to some that may make no sense, or some may say I already had a 5K going well, why did I need a certification, to me receiving this certification is so much more than a piece of paper.  Receiving my Race Director Certification became a dream achieved. I had to take online courses and I had to read a text book, and essentially,  I had to study for the first time in over 10 years. It was a challenge put before me, worthy of doing not only for my own personal self, but also for the cause of the Linda A. Ferguson Memorial 5K. To me, it became a dream achieved. The title may not mean a bachelor degree, but to me, the title represents a challenge presented, knowledge attained, and a dream achieved .  To me, the title represents new capabilities and potential fresh starts. To me, it is so much more than just a piece of paper.

 This weekend, I will push towards another dream. I'm not sure it could totally be put into the category of "dream", but more so of "goal". This weekend I will run a half marathon once again. It's been 2 years since I have done this kind of distance. As I have shared, the training has not been up to par. But this race, this goal, represents moving forward and pushing on. This race is going to be run with my family cheering from the sidelines where available, and God by my side. This race is about healing and persevering and growing and learning. This race is a parallel of running the Ultimate Race of faith, one in which it isn't about being first, but it is about finishing in good faith. That's what this dream, this goal represents to me this weekend. Am I nervous? Sure. But I am also excited. I am excited in part because I am a dreamer.
  Bill Cosby said " Decide you want it more than you are afraid of it." Fear can be crippling.  But I want this finish more than I am afraid of the muscle aches or the scoffing of my time or of the competitive gene in me that says I will do terrible.  I have decided I want it more than I am afraid of it.
  I have decided there are also some things in life I want ; things others may say I should walk away from or not be or not embrace.... But I want it more than I am afraid to face it. Know why? Because I have God by my side and my God is not a God of fear.  I have been learning that through this (lack of) training process the last couple months.
      I am a dreamer. And that is ok. And I will run this race with new dreams growing inside me at deep levels. I will run and not be afraid. I will persevere . And I will finish.
      2 Timothy 4:7 "I have fought well. I have finished the race. And I have been faithful."
 I can't say I can say those things in fullness right now, but it is my prayer I will be able to. Not just in relation to a physical race, but in relation to my race in this life, my walk with Jesus. I want to fight well, to finish well and to be faithful. That is in part what this weekend's race represents to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment