Sunday, September 15, 2013

His Plans, My Hands

The 5K that takes place in memory of my mom is less than a month away, and I have been in full force planning mode the last weeks. The next few weeks will be just as much full with things like last minute emails, registrations still coming in, tshirts to come in, and goodie bags to be assembled.  These are the very exciting, yet very exhausting, days of the event coming to unfold.

  In these last few weeks, I have been asked :  
   "How's it going?"
    "Are you ready?

     "Are you excited?"
        "How's your family doing?" (Those closest to me can well understand that at times planning an event as large as a 5K can take a toll on family time)

 My answer was sounding like this:
  "It's good, but not where I want it."
     "I'm getting there."
  "I'm as ready as I can be at this point."
    "Family.....tough question. Trying to balance all that a bit better this year...."

It has been a year of learning with this event, but I won't cover those things until after the event takes place. What I really want to share today is this:

This event, done in memory of my mom, is to help fuel funds into a scholarship for students studying in the nursing field. These students study under a blanket of God's word and truths, and one day, they will be able to carry His light into a world where I cannot be.
   It's HIS event....I am just lucky enough to be HIS hands for it all to unfold.

He gave me a dream with this, but sometimes I have to remember it's not all about my goals. I'm a goal setter...and that is not a bad thing by any means. I believe you have to set goals to reach higher. However, I have remembered this week, as I have been piecing together more and more details and praying more and more over the event, that it's not about my goals.
 IT'S ABOUT HIM.
 I just get to be His hands.
       The cool thing that's struck me is that that applies to all my life:
  I'm His hands in the coffee shop every day.
     I'm His hands when I vacuum and do dishes.
          I'm His hands when I wipe Elizabeth's tears or wipe Joseph's scraped knee.
I get to be His hands in all I do.
 His plans....My hands.

Sure, I take time to remember mom and how much she gave to everyone around her through the 5K.
   Yes, I am so excited to be able to be a director of an event, which is running, about which I am openly passionate.
        Yes, I get to see students blessed in the process, and we aim to see even more blessed in higher ways.

BUT..... even more importantly,
  I get to do something He has planted in my heart.  I get to be His hands; a small piece of His work unfolding. And that is beautiful.
 So, if you ask me how it's going, I will probably say...
    It's right where He wants it for now.  I am excited to see what He is doing and watch it unfold. I am just the hands that get to do it !
             

No comments:

Post a Comment