Sunday, September 3, 2017

What I learned this Summer

I am linking up with Emily Freeman today and talking about what I learned this summer. It has been a beautiful summer and it has gone way too fast. Here are a few things I have taken in during these months.


1. The son of a tiger comes out painted.

 That is a new phrase I like, and it is to say: Your child looks a lot like you. It was said to me when I shared this photo of me and Elizabeth.

 When I was told the phrase, I did not understand it. It took a few minutes for it to sink in, but now I love it. There are all kinds of these phrases that exist to make explanations for hundreds of scenarios. We say a lot The apple doesn't fall far from the tree... I like this way of talking.

 2. Kintsugi

 I am in love with this art. I learned about this when discussing some of my life, and a friend shared with me a series her pastor was doing at church, using Kintsugi art as the example. Broken pieces of pottery made even more beautiful by fixing them back together with gold. The cracks are evident, but so beautifully displayed.
 We are like that. We are broken in a lot of ways. We all have stories for our lives that have hurt places or cracks. But  we don't have to hide those cracks. God fills them in with His love, His gold. This art is beautiful. For many reasons.

 3. Lake Baptisms are really special

 Maybe because it was the first time for me to see one. Or maybe because something about it felt akin to the baptisms of the Bible. No, there is not special water and a baptism in a pool or a tank or giant tub is no different. But I found it beautiful. This was a first for our church to do.


 4. Cheez- Its are my guilty pleasure

 I have discovered my favorite "go to" when needing to crash a craving is cheese its (and orange soda.) Yes, I know, both snacks go against all my healthy habits, but come on, we all have this! I think this comes from my childhood, which dawned on me one afternoon when I was being made fun of for my indulgence against my normal healthy habits. (does it even count that I choose diet orange soda??) Well, anyway, as a child, when we would travel on a road trip, we didn't stop at places for meals too often, we packed our food and snacks. Including all our drinks. I realized that cheese its and orange soda were often in that grouping of snacks. Maybe there is a correlation? I don't know, but if you ever want to know the way to my heart.... these small snacks will win some points ;)

 5. I like Soccer

 Maybe this is the Latin culture influence on me. Perhaps so. I played this sport as a little girl, but really only because I enjoyed being involved. I was actually terrible at it! But I have come to really enjoy watching these games or at least catching the recaps. I didn't think I cared for the sport, but... I have discovered I do.

 6. I love to be creative.

 There are more forms to art than just drawing. Writing is one. But I have discovered other little things I like to do. Like making cards (Thank you, Paula) or scrapbooking. Not your typical Creative Memories scrapbooks, but there are other forms of scrapbooking. I am not going to ever be recognized for being a great artist in this sense, but I find it enjoyable and relaxing. And there is not really a right or wrong to it.


7. I do not have a particular style. 
  See the many sides of me.
 The farm girl with muddy boots; the runner; the lady who likes to dress up. the beach girl in me with flip flops. I used to think that a person should have a style... a sort of way to define themselves, I guess. But I kind of like that I don't. (And also, I think that people having a certain style may be a societal misconception.) It just depends when you catch me which side or style of me you will find.

8. Kola Román

 This red soda is delicious. I suppose you could compare it to red creme soda, but even that is not quite the right description. The point is, it's a Colombian soda I discovered on this trip that I had not tried the previous year and I loved it. Perhaps I can find it in Jungle Jims, should I ever make the trip that way.





9. Giving speeches is not scary
  
 I ended with an A in my summer speech class. I was so excited about this! I learned a lot of little techniques and I can't say I enjoy getting up in front of others (I don't really like the attention centered on me) but I can say I enjoyed the process of how it helped me grow. 

 The next few months will be full of more lessons, no doubt. I am in a mathematics class and a sociology class, so I am certain there will be many lessons that stem just from those. Our race we work for all year long is two weeks away and there will be fall travel. I am excited to see what more will come my way in lessons learned. Lessons learned= growth. And growth= a better me! 
 One day at a time....

No comments:

Post a Comment