Sunday, August 27, 2017

The Little Moments

 This week, in my little moments, I found laughter in between my moments of (perhaps admittedly exhausted tearful times...I can't help it, I'm a crier.)  And here is what brought smiles:


 1. A funny math professor.
       Classes started up again this week, and for the first time, I am on campus for one of my classes. I do not like math. At all. And the title alone of this class scares me off a little - Quantitative Reasoning. But, the professor is funny. He's not even trying to be, he just is so animated in his expressions and his stories. And wow is he intelligent. He doesn't even bat an eye at numbers and rattles off things while all of us look at eachother like "He didn't even think about that, he just knew." I suppose that is what makes him the professor. It's a lot of group work, and it's going to be an interesting semester. But I think the class will be survivable with this professor. He's excited about what he does. That makes a difference!

 2. Making cards with my best friend.
  She's so creative. and she's such a great listener. And she's so patient. And I am blessed to have her as my best friend. We live an hour apart, but we try to get together every month at least. This month we got together and made cards. She's so good at that (by the way, she also mails me cards consistently, which make me smile). But we had fun learning how to make cards from her. (Elizabeth joined in on the endeavor.)

 3. Running Stairs.
  How, do you ask, is running stairs a "little moment" in my week? Well, I know that either hill training or speed work ought to be part of my training regime. But I am not good at doing that because, well, quite frankly, I do not like it. So when my girlfriend called me up and said "Let's do stair workouts" I groaned inwardly, but hugged her as we finished. Hard work outs kind of suck. But... they also kind of feel awesome. And at the end, my legs were jello, but we have made a new routine out of this. And I am kind of excited to see where it leads. And... to have a buddy to do it with.

 4. New Friends
  I love meeting people. Of course I don't become best buddies with everyone I meet. But I am thankful for the circles into which I get introduced and how each and every person brings a different story to the table. We all shape each other, really, in some way or another. But in my Math class, we work in groups. So I am getting to know a whole new group of people, different ages, different goals, different stories. I love seeing how we are all made up. I specifically connect with Monica, who sits in the first row of the classroom and I sat myself next to her and we laugh at the professor's antics, we discuss our work lives, we both have kids, we are both moms working towards a degree. It's pretty cool.

 5. Beautiful Sunrises
 It's that time of year where the time of the sunrise is beginning to shift. and usually this happens in the middle of my morning runs. And I love watching the sun come up.The colors of the sky changing, the warmth of the sun's rays rising above the dawn-kissed morning.

 6. Nature
 Nature is my favorite way to connect with God. And just feel... free and happy. It's also the time of year on my morning runs when a lot more critters are out. The deer jumped back into the woods as I approached yesterday. What a beautiful animal, really. The weather is in that in between stage, and while I am not at all ready to say goodbye to summer warmth, the cooler mornings are also somehow refreshing- a reminder of the beauty that change can bring.

 7. Good Books
 I love to read. I spend a lot more time now in text books than I do in recreational books, but I still try to find time to read little bits. I enjoy all genres and all authors. But I love to read and learn or immerse myself in a story. I'm currently reading an autobiography by a famous Colombian author and it's fascinating and adding to my knowledge of their culture. I enjoy a good story which also helps me learn.

 8. Peanut Butter
  I don't think that needs a lot of elaboration, and yes, I know it's random. But peanut butter is delicious. :) And it makes me happy. Especially a good PBJ sandwich!

 Sometimes random, sometimes making no sense to others, My little moments help make me take in stride the other moments that can at times feel overwhelming. I am so thankful that I have a lot of these mixed in with the others. No, it does not mean life is perfect. But it means life is being lived.
 One day at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment