Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Adopted

Adoption is beautiful.
 I have known friends who have adopted children, and their stories have always touched me.
But last week, the beauty of adoption became very real in our family.
 Last week, my sister and her husband adopted William.

 William had been in foster care for several years, and about 8 months ago, my sister and her husband became his foster family. Fast forward.... and last week he became adopted and officially part of the family.

 William is a little spitfire, and I got along with him from the start. He is full of energy and a thousand questions. He always wants to play, and he loves his desserts. William's story touches me deeply. I have the hardest time wrapping my head around a mother (or a father) not wanting their child, and yet that is a very real, every day occurrence. The events and the things William endured the last many years are heartbreaking to me.
 And yet they haven't broken him.

 He laughs and is full of joy.
   He is inquisitive and curious, like the little monkey, Curious George.
He has a streak of independence that is fierce, but will carry him far in life.
   The hurts he has endured are more than many of us will ever face, and yet he has more love in his little heart than those of us who have known love forever.
 And now he is part of our family.

 I could not post pictures of William until now. And now that he is part of the family, I can proudly introduce him.  This little boy, and his story, have stolen a little piece of my heart.
  Adoption is beautiful.




  I do not have a story that resembles William's at all. I grew up in a very loving home. But I
am reminded through this event that we are chosen adopted children of God.
 We are broken, but God has chosen to take us in.
We are inquisitive- constantly questioning God and His reasons and His events; but God has chosen to answer every "why" with his continual presence and love.
  We try to be independent and choose our own way; and each and every time, God is waiting with open arms to accept us when we get back on the right path.
   In fact,  no matter how many times we walk away or choose our own path or question Him, He chooses us every time.
  We are undeserving, but that is the beauty of it all.... God displays grace and love every day. We don't have to do anything to earn His acceptance.
     We are adopted children of God.
Ephesians 1 says : Long before he laid down earth’s foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love. Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ. (What pleasure he took in planning this!) He wanted us to enter into the celebration of his lavish gift-giving by the hand of his beloved Son.

  Last week, William became part of our family through the court system. I love that little boy deeply already.
    Years ago, God adopted me as His daughter, and loved me with a fierce love like one I will never experience otherwise. 

 Adoption is beautiful. 

1 comment: