Thursday, January 10, 2013

Looking back and pressing forward. 2013

Coffee cup in hand, mind clear, and snow falling outside, I am ready to come to you with my first blog of 2013. Yes, we are one week into the year already, and there is always much that could be said, but I have been taking a little bit of time to myself (well...sort of). I should say, I have been using my time in which I would normally blog to take time to be quiet and reflect, pray, ponder and project some goals for this coming year.
 I am still working on formulating those goals, but perhaps you are reading this over your cup of coffee and it might cause you to pause as well. There are 2 blogs which I follow on a regular basis, and those blogs have brought on some thoughtful moments for me lately. Those two blogs are :
 www.juliesanders.org
 and www.iwokeupyesterday.com

I invite you to look at them as well, if you have the time. Anyway, as the year begins to make progress forward, I have been spending a little bit of time looking back on 2012. There were joyful moments, but there were many painful moments for me as well. It is through each reflection, I have been able to better see myself as I've taken the time to do so, and to think about what I want 2013 to be, within my power. Of course I have no idea what the year may hold. I have always been a goal setter, sometimes to the point of it driving me crazy. I have tried to slow that down a notch as I've grown older, becuase I have a tendancy to get carried away and then get frustrated with myself. I have learned what "realistic" looks like a little better as I've aged.

 It is good to look back and reflect on the past year. However, that has been much of an introspective activity and putting it into words here is something which I am finding dificult. I can say, I am ready to make some changes for 2013. God has been so faithful to me. I have seen Him in many ways in my life, but I would say I drew nearer to Him this previous year than ever. And as we launch into a new year, I pray He can use those things for his glory.
 As I have been introspective, I am still formulating my outlook for the year. But as I do so, there are things coning to mind which I am ready to share. Those include: I chose a word to help put some definition to the year. One of the above blogs talked on that and I pondered it for a while and, while it is difficult to choose just one word to define a year, I have landed on the word diligent.  
   Diligent is defined as: constant in effort to accomplish something;  attentive and persistant in doing anything.

 I want to be more diligent in my prayer life
 I want to be more diligent in my time with the Lord.
 I want to be more diligent with my time and how I use it.
 I want to be more diligent as  wife to Michael-and loveing him and being what God has called me to be in that aspect of life.
 I want to be more diligent as a mom-giving them more of my love and more of my attention and attending to them as they need....not as I feel I have time to or what I want, etc.
 I want to be more diligent in what God has called me to do, and knowing that will come through diligently praying
 I will be diligent in doubling the size of  the 5K, hence doubling the size of my mom's scholarship fund.
 I will be diligent in pursuing dreams...writing, school?, my career path.

The List goes on, but I also don't want to put the cart before the horse, so I am patiently asking God in enormous ways to show me how He sees these things in my life, not necessarily how I see them. I have a desire to return to simplicity...to want less and to just be more. Again, asking God to show me what that looks like for me.
 Paul said in Philippians 3, and I claim this as my own today, and every day, one day at a time:
Philippians 3:12-14
Focused on the Goal ] I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.

One day at a time, I will keep asking Him to show me through this year how He wants me to diligently pursue each day. It's going to be a good year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment