Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Baker

Yet another favorite memory of mom that I've remembered recently is how much baking she did. I don't think there were many days I came home and there weren't fresh baked goods of some sort. Browines and  chocolate chip cookies were 2 of the most popular, of course. But there was also bachelor button cookies, crescents, no bake cookies, crazy cake, rhubarb cake/pie, and our family holiday favorite-futtimuhns ( a sweedish cookie, as my grandfather, mom's mom, was full sweedish). The list goes on, but it is something I remember being in our home almost always growing up.
  I am not a great cook (ask my family, they will agree, and that is ok!), but I do enjoy baking. It had been a long time since I'd done much baking. I'm not sure if it was because of time, or that I didn't want to eat it myself, or that it was a memory of mom hard to re-enact some moments, but I've been on a baking frenzy lately. I've been really enjoying those moments with my kids. Over the course of the last  3 weekends, we've made chocolate chip cookies from scratch, a few batches of brownies, and rice crispy treats. It has been a lot of fun, mixing and teaching and eating and enjoying moments with my children. It's also been good to return to doing something I really do enjoy, and had almost forgotten about.
Crazy cake was always my favorite cake growing up. Below is a recipe of it , and a picture of a cake mom baked me in high school (Snoopy, of course, as I've referred to in previous birthday posts).
  It is a chocolate cake, by the way.

3C flour                    3/4 c. oil
2 c sugar                    2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. cocoa               2 Tbsp. vinegar
 2 tsp. baking soda    1/4 tsp. salt

Mix together. Pour 2 C. water over all mixture and mix well. bake at 350 for almost one hour.

By the way, the 5K is moving along quite nicely. By next week the website will be up (for real!). We have just over 50 registered for the event, and I am hoping for 100 total when all is said and done. To the glory of God, we are building this scholarship one day at a time! This event is just a part of growing the foundation of Linda A. Ferguson, my mom....the baker (just one of her many talents).

No comments:

Post a Comment