Sunday, September 30, 2012

Fall

Fall has arrived here in Ohio, and it is a beautiful one. Today, my family and I took a day to drink in its beauty. The leaves were falling gently to the ground, creating some crinkle noises under our feet and gentle ripples in the creek next to us. The water rippled by quietly, and it was a pleasure to stand in stillness some moments and just breathe in the beauty of God's creation. We took a hike (about 2.5 miles), we enjoyed eachothers company, and then we finished off our fall morning with lunch at a local favorite-Youngs Jersey Dairy, where I enjoyed very much a cup of hot apple cider.
 It is good to escape to doing things like that. Hiking is an activity that brings me much joy. I love the nature. I love the peacefulness. I love God's creation. I love fall. It was good to get away briefly and be able to bring some quietness to the mind. Even though we chatted as we walked, it was still so peaceful.
 Fall is my favorite season for many reasons. I love the heat of summer, but as far as seasons go, Fall wins my heart. I love the colors of the leaves. I love the farmland, and watching it all be harvested. I love apple cider and football and wearing jeans and sweatshirts. Fall also holds some of my favorite memories of growing up. I suppose fall is just one reason why I chose the 5K to take place in October. Growing up, a favorite fall memory was riding in the combine with my dad. It was a busy time of year, so those were special moments with my dad. I also loved raking leaves with mom-that is something she and I did together frequently in the fall. We used to always make scarecrows growing up, too. We'd take some of dad's farm clothes and stuff them with straw and put it up outside on our lamp post. I loved making the scarecrows with mom. We had mom's chili on Friday nights after the football games. Now my husband makes the chili for our enjoyment. Now I get to make fall memories with my kids.This is our first fall owning a home. I wish mom could see it and enjoy it with us. I miss her very much when I recall the memories. But making new memories with my kids and telling them about mine is fun, too. We will rake leaves and jump in them, as I used to. We will carve pumpkins and put them out. We are already enjoying the apple cider and football, and of course my husband's chili. We haven't made our own scarecrow yet, but perhaps we will this year.
  there is a season for everything. Every time the seasons change, I am reminded of how God does that with our lives....changes them naturally. It is more painful for us, and we fight it more than nature does, but it is so similar. God allows seasons in our lives. Seasons of joy, seasons of pain, seasons of grief, seasons of remembering, seasons of laughter, seasons of tears, seasons of children growing and in each season, He is teaching us something new. Growing us, as we grow older. But it's up to me how I handle that and how I allow Him to mold me. One day at a time, I am learning to do this more and more. As seasons change, He is showing me new things. About myself. And about others. Our family is experiencing a season of new discoveries as we move into some better times. Through my grief season, we had some dark days. Now, we are making new memories and laughing more and rediscovering new peace. It's very exciting. One day at a time....
 I was 3 in this picture, with the scarecrow I built with mom
  pictures of us today, hiking.




No comments:

Post a Comment