Saturday, December 28, 2019

Closing out 2019 with Purpose

I grew up on a farm, and in our yard we had so many trees. I could not honestly tell you the difference between an oak tree or a maple tree, but I have always found beauty in the trees.

 We did not have air conditioning in our home, but the trees that surrounded the front of the house provided cool shade and breezes. One of my favorite summer memories is sitting under the shade of the trees, drinking lemonade with my dad and the team of people who would come help us bale straw. 

 One one side of the house, we had a tree my siblings and I called the climbing tree. That tree was strong, but not the tallest or thickest of the trees on the farm. The branches were just the right height to jump a tad and be able to hang from it and swing my legs over it so I could lift myself into the tree. Then, I could skillfully climb branch by branch to the top of the tree. There were times I would climb it with friends, and we would sit for hours, passing the summer days. That tree would often be my little escape place when I wanted to get out of the house and think. It also was a favorite spot during hide and seek games. Although we all knew someone would climb that tree, the leaves were dark purple, making it very difficult to see a person hiding in the night. 

 There was also a tree which stood very tall and spread out over the side yard. Underneath that tree, when it rained, puddles would form and my brother and I would go out and splash in them for hours. 

 Trees serve much purpose, but it takes years for a tree to reach its maturity. I cannot remember any of those trees being planted. They seeds were placed in the ground many years before my existence. But their roots were deep and strong and the branches endured storms and brought much joy to my childhood.

 I was remembering these trees as I thought about my word for this year. At the beginning of 2019 I chose the word purpose to define my year. As the year closes, I can see how my purpose has grown this year and how it has come to life in new ways. 
  20 years ago a seed was planted in my heart to work with Latin American countries. I always thought that would mean going to a country and living there. Then as I had children and life unfolded in curious ways, I thought that was a desire I'd made up. But over the last few years those seeds which were planted 20 years ago came to life. The roots were deep. They'd been growing. But sometimes one needs to mature and be prepared to serve out the purpose. I am certain if I had attempted to go to such a country 20 years ago, God still would have used me, but perhaps in a very different way. Instead, while the years have taken me down many roads, through hard experiences, I have grown up in a way that now God has brought those dreams back to life and is using them in a way I never dreamed possible.

 The seed was planted 20 years ago. Its roots always existed. Much like branches on a tree endure storms and bend with the wind, I have battled the winds of life at times. I have endured storms. But through the last few years of water, of light- true light- He has unfolded a plan I never would have said would be my journey. This year in 2019, I opened a non-profit foundation to work with the displaced communities of Colombia. I am still learning through this. I at times feel completely under qualified, but yet those are often the ones God uses. And the dream grows. In 2020, we intend to launch workshops for women who have lived through violent and difficult situations. Those workshops will teach a trade for them to earn an income. The workshops will teach the women their value and worth in Chrit. And offer a place to heal and move forward. We pray that God will continue providing vision for this dream and help us unfold it.

 When a seed is planted, you don't know how the tree (or flower) will look or when its growth will fill out the branches. Much patience is required. A lot of care taking is involved. I had no idea 20 years ago that I would be blessed to serve the Colombians and the visions God would lay on my heart to serve from within the US but fulfill my purpose and dream of helping others in another country. Every tree looks different and serves a different purpose. Purpose is a beautiful thing....

 I'll share more about purpose in the next day as I close out this year and look towards 2020. 

No comments:

Post a Comment