Monday, December 31, 2018

2018 Colombian Adventures

This year I was blessed to travel to Colombia twice and get the additional experience of translating for 2 of my Colombian friends when they were in the US for a missions conference. 
 My experiences in Colombia have been life-changing. 20 years ago I felt a deep desire to serve God with Spanish speaking skills in a Latin American country. It has come full circle, and it looks different than I had envisioned as a 16 year old girl, but that's what makes God so awesome. 
 
Things take time... Our plans are not always His. I'd abandoned that dream and here He had a plan all along. I love being able to see that. 

 I have a difficult time summing up into adequate words what it is that my Colombian travels have taught me. Each trip grows me in new ways. I have found some of my closest friends in life, even though separated by miles. I have been challenged in my faith. I have learned how to speak the language better and I have a hundred + stories of ways I have seen God move. How can I place here the lessons these beautiful people, this rich culture have taught me? It's a challenge. Here are a few from this year....

 - Relationships are so much more important than things. 
    One thing I have noticed strongly of them in this year is that they don't speak poorly of one another. They would have every reason to be frustrated or angry just as much as we, here, get frustrated with our family or friends. Only I noticed the significant difference in how they respond. They cautiously word themselves. They even will often say "I don't want to damage anyone...."  
 I have thought on that a lot because I feel like here petty gossip is found in every corner. I know as hard as I try, I am guilty of this at times. In discussing this, I think that it boils down to they are a people who value people. Relationships are everything to them. To damage a person, even if that person has hurt them, is the last thing they want to do. People matter. Things don't. Whatever upsets them isn't worth tarnishing the other person in the process. That's beautiful. Are they perfect? No... but on more than one occasion, I saw this take place and it did not go unnoticed. It has challenged me. 
 

 - Happiness is not based on money, materials or location
   Now, the Colombians have been teaching me this since day 1. I have watched them live off nothing. But the more I've been able to develop my relationships with them, the more I see this. The more I ask questions and learn about their culture, the more I see the "material" poverty they truly experience. I realize just how little they have. Most of my friends there can fit all their belongings into one suitcase. The majority of them live off dollars... A MONTH! Not a day, but a month. Many of them have moved once or twice. But more times than I can count, they are telling me "God will provide... God is good." They are full of joy. Yes, they have hurts and frustrations, too, don't get me wrong. But in the midst of those, they laugh, they smile, they may cry but they soon pick themselves up and say "God's got this." I am not sure this lesson will ever cease to speak to me. It's beautiful and humbling. And challenges me all the time. I have ZERO reason to be complaining. 
 Yes, life here is different so the struggles are different. But they teach me perspective every day. I am lucky enough to get to speak with them each day and they are forever reshaping my views in good ways. Reminding me I'm loved and blessed. Reminding me of what is important

 - Laugh often
 I cry a lot, I admit. Crying expresses my hurts, my anger, my sadness, and my joy. So, yes, I cry often. But they laugh a lot. And it is contagious. I could be having the worst of days and get a call or message from them and their laughter is contagious. I want to laugh more. I want to shine that same joy that they have taught me. Besides the times with my mom in the past and the moments I get with my sister, I don't laugh as hard as I do when I am with them. Even if it has meant laughing at my own self. 

  I have learned so much from them, there are no adequate words. Live life to its fullest. In the bad and in the good, live life every day. Take chances. Say yes. Serve Jesus. Sing songs. Dance. Cry. Live life in whatever capacity is possible. Life is found in the moments, not in the materials. I knew this. But it reshaped in new ways. Meanwhile, I am asking hundreds of questions to better understand their culture and not impose mine. I am listening as much as they are willing to share. I am soaking in new perspectives that really remind me how blessed I am. I have struggles, yes. I fight depression, yes. But I do have so many blessings. They don't quit when they so easily could. Neither will I. What will a new year bring, people are asking? 365 opportunities. 
 They live that. I want to as well. 
   And hopefully I can teach that to those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment