Sunday, April 22, 2018

Attitude of Gratitude

Today I return to my thoughts on "the little things" moments. I have had a hard time embracing those on many days, if I am being honest. But I've had so many... and let so many go unnoticed... that I wanted to share a few of the very beautiful ones from this last week. Sometimes, when I am feeling the most doubts, whether I deserve it or not (ok, mostly I know I really never deserve it)
God shows up in the coolest of ways to just remind me that I am on the right path and that I am taking the right steps and growing more into who I am supposed to be. Here are a few from the last week...

 1. School
  This semester has been long and exhausting. And I am already signed up for summer courses. In lieu of finances, I was questioning myself slightly whether I was doing the right thing or not. And yet I could not make myself feel any other way because it just seems right. And I am afraid if I take one semester off it'll only be too easy to take another one. And so I signed up, not sure how finances would play out. And lots of prayer. Guess what?
 Last Friday I got not one... but TWO... phone calls to tell me that I was awarded two scholarships! God is good! And I am reminded I am on the right path. I asked... I took steps of faith.. He provided.
 And like I kid, I was grinning ear to ear when I heard of them.

2. More Scholarships... But not Mine
   Many of you know that since my mom passed away in 2011, we have had a 5K in memory of her to raise funds for a scholarship in her memory. It's exhausting... and so much work... but so worth it in the most humbling of ways. And now, being a student myself and receiving scholarships, I have an even deeper appreciation of it, if that makes any sense. I have questioned and doubted myself in this area too. But I have learned so much along the way of putting this event on and meeting students who are recipients and hearing their stories.
  This week we awarded the 7th Linda A. Ferguson Memorial Scholarship. I shouldn't be surprised that I still tear up at this, but ... I was caught off guard by it. I had to choke back tears a few times in talking about mom to the recipient, listening to dad, and hearing her story of why this scholarship was meaningful.
 Sadly this year I am taking a break from the 5k, but funding is still there for future scholarships and it's not to say we won't host the 5K again next year. But... it was the right thing for life to take a year's break from it.


3. School
 I guess school is the theme of this blog. :) But this week I got to present my honors project. I have worked on this all semester. Taking the Spanish course as an honors course was my choice, and I did it because that is my end goal and I want to push myself in those areas. The requirements were: write a paper (due at end of semester) in Spanish about what I learned through my research of my topic. My topic was my choice, approved by my professor. The other requirement was putting together a presentation, to be given at the Honors Symposium, amongst all the other honors students. No other students in Spanish courses were in honors, so I was up against psychology students, art students, business students and engineering students. The symposium was really awesome to be honest. I saw cool projects and talked to neat people and most of all, got to educate others on my topic, which is one close to my heart: the Indigenous of Colombia. I had the opportunity to read some books recommended to me by the Colombians as well conduct some interviews while I was there from people who lived with the Indigenous tribes. I learned so much. I loved this project. And I had a great time presenting.



4. Running
  Hello, my friend... I missed you... and it feels so good, even if slowly doing so... to be out on the pavement again. I am looking forward to a 10K event in just 2 weeks. Sometimes the hardest races are the best ones, not because of time (to be determined, but entering knowing it will not be a PR) but because of what I learn or see in myself.
5. Family Movie Night
  We haven't done one of those in quite a while, but this weekend we watched The Greatest Showman... excellent movie! I highly recommend it. I've always enjoyed musicals and this one was exceptional. I suppose a part of me relates to the storyline in some regards, so that is likely a piece of it, but the music was great, the actors did well and the story was well told. I'm not a movie critic, but I really enjoyed it. One song in particular I really enjoyed
 This Is Me

 in the midst of changes and sometimes uncertainties, there are always positive moments to be found. This was a beautiful week.

No comments:

Post a Comment