Tuesday, March 6, 2018

New Friends. Part 2. My Colombian Family

If you don't know by now... I love people :)
 I built some new beautiful relationships with my American team, and I was able to build just as strong of relationships with my Colombian friends. I met some new friends and deepened friendships with the "old" friends.
 There used to be this song my mom would sing " Make new friends, but keep the old, some are silver and the other gold.." I kind of think all of these people are gold. Each person made an imprint on me I'll never forget. Whether they are there the next time I go back or not.... they all play a role  in my life and my growth in this leg of my journey. Let me introduce you, or share with you about my new friends, how they taught me, made me laugh, held my hand while I cried and prayed with me.


  New Friend...

 Yolima.
   Yolima is the new doctor in the village and she and I connected immediately. Oh, how we laughed so hard so many times. Sometimes you just connect with someone. Yolima and I were like that. She's young and beautiful and talented, with a heart for the Lord, and a faith that goes deep. She's a great addition to the team in Brisas.
   Yolima and I tended to sit at the same end of the table and I would often translate the conversations going on for her. She would help me when I would make mistakes or she would teach me new words. Just like there are catch phrases in English, there are in Spanish, too. I had fun learning phrases "costeña". Yolima tried her best to teach me to dance, but it was quite the lost cause. She'd make me start with my shoulders but as soon as she tried to add my hips or my knees, I lost the shoulders. At one point we were all laughing so hard we could not talk or hardly breathe. We settled on the Chicken Dance finally... one I could do! (Thanks to Paula for saving me on that one. Paula, who could by the way dance it out well.)  Yolima and I laughed over nothing, really. And we shared tears, too. and many hugs. She didn't give up on my dancing, but perhaps the next trip we can get a better lesson in. Sunday night she and Paula and Miguel and Yuleida and I were sitting outside talking, having been told to "quiet down". But the laughter was just too much and so eventually Mike, team leader, brought us snacks and said if he couldn't get us to be quiet, maybe the food would. We all laughed very hard at that (and welcomed the snack) and then Mike joined in the dancing fun with us. Laughter is so good for the soul. The tears we shared were, too. Parting was not easy. But thankfully we can stay in touch.



Old Friend....

 Miguel.
   Miguel is special. He used to be one of the youth and he grew up in the neighbor village of Alto de Julio. On this trip, when we went into Alto de Julio, we got to meet his family and see the home where he grew up. The second trip I was there, Miguel was studying to become a pastor. Miguel has become my brother. Miguel is always laughing, always finding the fun in every situation. You can hear his laugh across the street, it's contagious. He is also studying to be a nurse. He is persevering through difficulty and pursuing his dreams. He leads the youth and they look up to him.  He has become a very dear friend to me. I look forward every time to seeing him and talking with him. My brother.


New Friend....

 Estefania.
   Estefania works for the church is the city. She is the secretary to the Bishop. We did not get to spend a lot of time together, but I really enjoyed being around her. We had some fun conversations and she is a hard worker. She has a sweet spirit and is full of beauty. I look forward to getting to know her more.


 Old friend....

  Pastor Javier.
   Javier has been in the village now for a little over the year and works hard to grow the program through loving on the community. He has done a great job of that. he has helped the food program improve greatly, and visits the families on a regular basis. Pastor Javier is always telling jokes, even learning them in English to share with our group, where we would all laugh harder because he was the one telling them. He laughed with us, loved us, cried with us, and cared for us. He has become my  friend, my brother, and a treasured family member in Colombia.

 New Friend....

 Milena.
  Milena is a beautiful woman, inside and out. Every year I've been, there has been a different in-country translator. This year, Milena was our new hostess. She was new to the job and new to us, but she did an amazing job! Milena and I spent a lot of time together, conversing in Spanish at times, and at times English. She was laid back and easy going, but also none of us ever were concerned if the job would get done. She always was making it happen. We laughed hard and made up jokes that if I tried to tell them here it would make no sense (Pero, Milena, para ti... "Porque soy blanca!") We laughed hard together, and on a few occasions, shed small tears (well, hers were small mine were like waterfalls.) She listened well to me, stayed quiet when needed but offered an opinion when asked. She has become my sister.  I love her to death. We tag teamed well translating. She let me be me, loved me for me, and encouraged me to keep growing and being me. And I so look forward to seeing her again very soon.



 On this trip I grew closer to my Colombian family. I am so thankful for them.  Often times they are my support system, even though miles away. I lean on them, we pray for one another, we share life stories, hurts, dreams and fears. I am thankful that I can speak the language and grow these relationships over time. It makes going all the sweeter..... and leaving all the harder. I love these Colombians.

No comments:

Post a Comment