Saturday, March 3, 2018

New Friends. Part 1. My American Family

My trips to Colombia are a part of who I am, help reshape me and grow me, teach me and challenge me. The people in these journeys are a huge part of this! The team I travel with and I share a week together, experiences together, that is a rare bond. So each trip has brought new friendships. Some that are trip only, some that remain in my daily life, and others that are there when I need them.

 I also get to meet more and more native Colombians each time I go. I am a people person and this is part of what I love about these trips. Being immersed with the people- my team and the locals.
 Since I speak the language, I get to know the community a little deeper every time. I fall a little bit more in love with this place each time. But even more so than that, the people teach me about God, about life, about love, and about me.

 Today, I talk a little about the team, a little about the Colombians. Really, the people of the trip could take many blogs. But I try to condense. Today, Part 1, my Team, my American Family.

On this team, it was a little different. Each of us, except Diana, had been there before. Some of us had traveled together, some of us had not. Due to my life schedule, I'd not had the opportunity to meet about half of them yet, so I was not certain what to expect. There were only 3 of us women, and we meshed well together. We laughed a lot, we worked well as a team and both of the ladies - Diana and Paula- taught me about God through our times of sharing.
  







 The men on the team were Mike, Mark, Ed, Jay, Steve and Keith. Keith and Diana are married.

 With this team, no one competed, every one worked together so well. Everyone was so encouraging. We laughed a lot and we shared tears. We shared ideas and we pushed each other. We became family.


Steve, the brother of Paula, and who I had as a prayer partner, became my big brother as well. Jokes just like my own brothers became a part of the routine conversations. Stories of life and experiences.  It didn't take long for me to become adopted as one of his sisters.


Pastor Ed of course I have traveled with on each trip.  Pastor Ed has taken me as one of his own flock. He helped me in my fundraising efforts and I know he prayed for me steadfastly. His corny jokes remain a part of his reputation, but part of why we love him. I had the opportunity to translate many times for him, and enjoyed that partnership. His teaching is from the heart and I won't forget his opening devotion to us, which spoke of the journey to the Jordan River, which didn't part before the people stood into it, but parted once their faith told them to go, so they did, and once they did God worked His miraculous ways. God went before them. That lesson was powerful to me.


Mike and I work well together. Mike organizes details we will never realize. If it were not for his work behind the scenes every day, these trips would not unfold. He gets tickets, organizes with Colombia, plans the itinerary, hounds (in a very loving, responsible way) us with email reminders (which are so needed!) and loves the Colombian people more than even he himself can express. I am thankful for Mike.
 
One of my favorite photos of Mike on this trip, in a spontaneous dance evening, where he and this lady became the center
 Keith and Diana are a special couple. I want to be them when I get older. They both love the Lord, both so dedicated to missions, having taken many trips solo as well as some together. The Dominican Republic, Colombia, Romania, just to name a few. This was Diana's first time in Colombia, but how cool to watch them work together. Keith works so hard and honestly, I doubt he ever has a negative word to say about anyone or anything. He is so positive, so much finding the joy. Keith shared some words with me that he doesn't know will have a lifetime impact on my heart. He is every other minute singing the praises of his wife. It's beautiful.

 
Diana is an incredible woman. She's battled cancer and depression. She has a heart for women and children. She never ever complained about the heat or the exhaustion. She worked hard and she laughed a lot. Learning her story in life challenges me to be a better mom, a better woman. She prays and loves and gives of herself. She is a beautiful woman.
 
Jay and Mark.... these guys... in part some of the humor and love I felt from these 2 can only be understood if you were a part of the team. Jay liked to play musical chairs at the meals and every time he sat someplace different. Normally I would not have made a deal out of this, but once it was pointed out to me, it became a meal conversation every time. Mark tended to migrate with Jay at times, though I think unintentionally. Then it became a joke to try to get me in between them. We laughed a lot together. Both Jay and Mark are incredibly hard workers. Neither wants attention. Neither is a center of the room kind of guy. Both humble in nature taught me about love.
 Mark's devotion to the scriptures and his heart for prayer humbled me. His love for these people and his ideas for helping them and his huge heart are inspiring.

  Jay said I was the age of one his children, but he became a big brother to me as well. Probably an unexpected, quiet friendship. He taught me more than he might know.

Paula. Paula and I met through our trip in 2016 and have been best friends since. We hang out once a month as much as possible and we laugh a lot. We cry together. We share. On this trip we danced. We sang. We taught. And we grew together once again. Paula is there for me anytime I need her and she is a beautiful woman of God. She does a great job being a team leader.
 We shared a room in the city and we gabbed for a long time. (of course!) Really, words don't do justice to the friend she is to me. And the incredible value she brings as a team leader as well.



 This team blessed me in more ways than they will ever know. Sometimes I stayed quiet in the group sharing, but mostly because to share I usually cried and so I just took in a lot of what they were sharing. In one on one conversations I developed new brothers and sisters and grew a new family. My life has changed yet again and grown even deeper because of these people.
I LOVE this photo!Candid... caught between Jay and Mark in the photo, just like the game at the tables



 Tomorrow I will tell you about my Colombian family.

No comments:

Post a Comment