Sunday, October 1, 2017

Just a Sunday Run

2 weeks to go until my next race. I'm counting down and looking forward to it with anticipation, simply for reaching towards another goal. I love the process of how goals stretch me and what I learn.

 This weekend was supposed to be a 10-11 mile run for me. But life interrupted that, and sometimes I just have to make the best out of what I can do with the time I have and life circumstances. Which is part of what makes the journey for me all the more accomplishing.
 I know there are countless runners out there who also have the same obstacles (and more) that I have, but each person's story and journey is different.

 Since I did not get that run in on my typical Saturday morning long distance morning run, I had to make time this morning. Sundays are typically my day of rest all around. I like to "sleep in " (which means 7 am) and relax with early morning quiet reading and coffee and move at a little slower pace, as we prepare for church. So I really try to avoid Sunday training runs. However, I knew if I did not get myself out the door this morning, it was not going to happen.

 So when my alarm went off at 5, I groaned a little, but I got up. I made my coffee and had a few minutes of quiet before preparing to head out the door. It seems fall has stepped in, which is appropriate for October 1. The temperatures are perfect for running, quite honestly. It's time for me to switch out my seasonal running gear.

 I was tired and I knew that I wasn't going to be able to fit in the 10-11 I wanted, but I decided that 8 was better than none. And so I set out.

 There was nothing spectacular about this morning's run. It even feels sort of silly to be writing an entire post about this, except this is what I do, how I process, how I share.

 Here is what I took out of my run today, the parts of growth I am experiencing:

1. I only fit in 7.5 miles today, but the point is, I could have not done it at all, so I pushed myself and did it anyway. For me, this is success, regardless of the distance. Especially when no one is saying behind me "You can do it!"  I believe in myself... and as prideful as that sounds, God has brought me a very long way from where I once was in this area, so it's glory to Him, not to highlight me.

2. I ran slowly today. For a split second, I considered not saving the workout on my running app because of what my average pace/time were. But that lasted for only a split second. I'm not worried about my time. It doesn't matter to me if I run an 8 min mile or a 15 min mile. For me, during this season, all life considered, I am very excited to be getting to do another half marathon again. And that is what matters.

3. I don't always put a spiritual verse with my runs. but I could not get this idea out of my head this morning. So, along with my "Run with your heart when your legs get tired" mantra, I want to apply this verse, too. Not just to my runs, but to my every day life in the course of the next 2 weeks specifically.
 Message version
 1 Corinthians 9:24-27
"You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs. one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes nd fades. You're after one that's gold eternally. I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping , telling everyone else about it and then missing out myself. "

 I am not just training myself physically and mentally to run this race, but I am training spiritually every day to be a better me. And running just happens to be a part of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment