Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Courage

Painters bleed their emotions on a canvas.
 Singers belt out their feelings through lyrics.
Writers drip vulnerability through the ink of their words.

 All are a form of artistry. I am an artist, whether it would ever be recognized in that manner or not.
I am real and raw and I won't apologize for it.

When I've had a bad day or I am learning powerful lessons, or I am bursting with joy over God's work in my life, I want to do one of two things, because these things help me process the lessons, help me grow and keep going. Thus, I typically want to...
 Run.
  Or Write.
Today, I write. I will drip the vulnerability of my growth through the words pushed out with passion on the keys of my computer.

I read a quote this week that has sat with me in a potent manner. It was by e.e. cummings and it said "it takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."

 I have been growing up so much in the last year, and becoming who God has always meant me to be. But yes, it does take courage some days. I'm not sharing this to toot my own horn. I share this because I think it also takes courage to be real and raw, and being real and raw help me to continue growing into who I am. I share this because it is His story, told through my life.
 Fighting for what's worth it, when no one else understands or gets it .
  Letting go when holding on would be less painful.
Moving forward when the past tries to claw its way into every day.
    Growing stronger when the world says those actions are weakness.
 Overcoming lies verbalized or criticisms handed out with the truths God clearly teaches.

 Courage. Bravery. Strength. 

 At times, exhibiting these is exhausting. Having courage and being brave are choices. Growing up and becoming who you really are is a process, one which we have the opportunity to choose or walk away from, one which develops strength from the most inward parts of the soul. At times, courage and bravery are lonely.

 It takes courage to recognize what needs to be let go and what is worth holding onto for dear life.
  It takes courage to fight for the things that are worth it, especially when so many say to give up.
 It takes courage to move forward when the past wants to hold you back.
 It takes courage to grow stronger, when it's far easier to give into the weaknesses.
   It takes courage to have a voice of victory, rather than the voice quitting.
 It takes courage to know when to say no and when to say yes.
 It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. 

  I am learning this daily in my life as I push through obstacles, as I see more and more I need to let go of in order to grow into the more necessary parts of me. I am not so sure I am all that courageous, but I am intently listening to what God has to say and looking to Him to help me become who I really am, from the inside out. The topic has crossed my path too much lately to be ignored, And thus, I write about it.
  It's a little private, but at the same time, if we don't verbalize our struggles, how can we help each other? How can another know that the thing they struggle with the most- perhaps the thing hindering them from finding the courage to be who they are meant to be-  if we don't talk about it?

    Courage. It takes courage to share in a vulnerable manner. It takes courage to write. It takes courage to be me some days. But it's a battle worth fighting. Because, again, as I become the me I am made to be, to grow up and exhibit the qualities with which God has most gifted me, He makes new avenues of opportunity. He shows up in the most unexpected ways. He is one step ahead of me, gently calling me forward with the wave of His hand...."come on, Rachael... you can do this... I got you!" And that's the most important place to be.
   Courage. Strength. Bravery. Words that intertwine themselves in a daily weave of definitions.
      At the start of the year, I chose Strength/Strong as my word for the year. The way that definition is playing into my every day life is sort of incredible. As I have studied the word and sifted it through the verses of the Bible, so often it is paired with courage. And as often as it is paired with courage, it also is addressed as not being my own strength, but finding the strength of God within me. Later I will blog more about that word, but today, I ask you, where do you need to exhibit more courage?
  It lives in you.... sometimes you have to dig deep, and other times it's just at the surface, ready to roar like a lion.
   What are you waiting for?

  Joshua 10:25 
Joshua said to them, "Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Be strong and courageous. This is what the Lord will do to all the enemies you are going to fight." 


No comments:

Post a Comment