Sunday, December 9, 2012

From the heart of a runner

I have had all these silly running (literally) thoughts going through my mind lately, as I have experienced some funny things, and so I decided to share some running "funnies" or embarassing things...or just words in general. It is well known I love to run. I am not be your fastest, sexiest runner out there, but I have a passion for it like you may not find in some.
 
 You know you're a runner if.....
  -5 am in sleeping in
 -Port a potties are no longer the most disgusting thing
 -There's no shame in admitting using the bathroom on the side of the bike path
 - The brighter the better (in clothes, that is!  don't want to get hit on the road)
 -You own a bracelet with your ID on it because of your hobby
 -your idea of fun on a weekend is getting up at 4 am, waiting around 2 hours-no matter the weather-just to run a race and gain a PR or claim the medal or just because it's what you love
 - you have to say "Watch out for that skunk! or Look out for the deer just ahead" because it's so dark when you run, all the critters are out
 -You experience the most breathtaking sunrise, or sunset, in the most raw moment of nature
 -Spandex tights hold no shame in your wardrobe, no matter what size you are.
 - Your Christmas and birthday gift ideas usually include: Asics running socks, Nike Running shorts, Runners World recommended items.....and it never gets old
 -You know who Hal Higdon and Dean Karnazes are
 -Vacations are planned according to races
 -Your wardrobe is mostly shirts from races you've run
 -Clif bars and GU take up a part of your pantry
- The beat of your feet and heart is the beat of your drum ....the tempo of your run...and the song of  your day.


And the list goes on....

I love to run. I am not the fastest. I am never going to be a world record, or for that matter, even a race event-holder, but that's ok. running is my happy hour, my sanity. In a day full of chaos many times, running is my peace, my prayer time, my jump start, my passion. Running has many benefits, and to each runner it's a different one, I believe.  Depending on the season, my benefit changes. It's never ever been about weight loss or even about health for me. It's been my time to gain confidence, to laugh and smile and remember. It's been time for me to grieve. It's been time I've pounded out angry thoughts and words. Time for me pray. Time for me to breathe. Time for me to ...be me! I love running. I've learned a lot about myself through the process. I've learned I'm capable of more than I ever thought possible. I've been able to create an event in memory of mom to benefit students because of my love of running. I've made some of the strongest friendships I have because of the connection of running. I even have a dream to one day write an article (or perhaps even for it to become something regular I could do) for a running magazine or website. Running isn't for everyone, and I know that. But I am often asked why I run, why I get up at ridiculous hours to do something like that...and hopefully this sheds some light on it. I wouldn't call it a talent of mine, by any means, but I would call it a gift. A gift from God. A blessing. And i am grateful to have discovered it. Until my next post, one day, one run at a time, I keep on keeping on...by His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment